Shopping in Japan: Cosmetics Edition

Shopping in Japan has its perks. At drugstores like Matsumoto Kiyoshi, you can find EVERYTHING. You can purchase Maybelline, Kate Tokyo, Canmake, SK-II, Kose, and more. They're basically what you would get if Ulta and Sephora had a baby, except there are testers everywhere; testers for mascara, shadows, lipstick, and almost all skincare products.
I spent lots of my time cosmetics shopping in Japan and I'm pretty sure it annoyed the heck out of my boyfriend, in which some days I would go out and shop and he'd just stay in since he can't speak Japanese in any kind of way. Ha ha. Poor guy. :P
I found lots of lovely goodies while in Japan and it was just cosmetics heaven for me. I've always had a thing for cosmetics shopping when in San Francisco or NYC and just being super excited because it's where I'm able to get all my favorite Japanese and Korean goods.

MATSUMOTO KIYOSHI stocks up on almost everything. The largest one I found was in Shibuya, right near Shibuya Crossing. While there, I found lots of SK-II on sale for 30% off, tons of Dollywink, Kose, and more. I always stocked up on my favorite Biore Watery Essence Sunscreen and Koji Dollywink lashes. It's definitely a place to stop by and shop at if you're in Japan. As said, they have testers for EVERYTHING. 
Maybelline Hyper Cosmo Shadow Testers
"Make Last Joke," lol. It actually says "Makeup remover"
Speaking of Shibuya, I also often visited CHACOTT FOR PROFESSIONALS, well-known for ballet and dance attire, but also a looovely cosmetics line. Their single shadows are about $10 a pop and can be used for the entire face. They're highly pigmented and smooth. I also recommend their cleansing water and foundations! 
North of Shinjuku is this lovely area called Shin-Okubo, known to be Korea Town, but also heavily populated by Vietnamese people. The one place I definitely recommend anyone to check out is SKIN GARDEN. Skin Garden houses multiple widely-known brands which includes DewtyTree, Re:cipe, The Face Shop, Clio, and more. While I was there I even picked up some brands known only to Koreans and Japanese because they aren't heavily offered in the States. 
A PeriPera display of their Frozen Collection
Easy Dew, a clinical Korean cosmetics brand. I have fallen in love with their Pure Mild Cleanser!
I also spent a fair amount of time shopping in Ginza, which houses Hiroshima TAU, the Shiseido Cafe, and more! Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the stores in Ginza that I shopped at, but I can definitely talk about them. 
SU:M37/BELIF store just south of the main shopping district. I shopped on two occasions and felt a bit out of place and didn't want to take photos in case it was rude. The second time around they closed the Su:m37 showcase room for construction, and therefore had to purchase everything in the salon area. To compensate for that, they gave free Su:m37 cosmetics pouches towards your purchase! The original room was full of testers and beautiful decor. The Belif section of the store was so fitting for the brand, decorated with lush greenery and a rustic chic feel. Su:m37 on the other hand was very luxurious, sophisticated, and elegance. The attendant was extremely helpful and even gave me extra samples upon hearing I was visiting from the States. When you pay, they sit you down and bring everything to you so you don't have to wait at the cash register. They had these huge comfy, circular couches in the middle of the room. The whole experience was great. 
HIROSHIMA TAU, which bears goods from Hiroshima and good ol' okonomiyaki, is in the Northern part of the main shopping area in Ginza. Although they have yummy food goods and lots of baseball merchandise, I was there for the brushes. If you're looking for Kumano Fude Select Shop and having trouble finding it, it's because it's on the second floor of Hiroshima TAU. It's a small corner dedicated towards the lush brushes created in Kumano, a town known for its production of brushes, originally used for calligraphy. If you've used Wayne Goss brushes, Chikuhodo, and Hakuhodo, then you've experienced these brushes. The prices of the brushes at Kumano Fude are about the same as the US, numerically, but upon conversion you can say you get a 20% discount. This is definitely a must-shop place for the brush lover. 
Side Note: Look at this beautiful cafe in Ginza! Tricolore is Victorian-inspired with servers dressed as butlers. My iced latte cost me nearly $10 but I had to visit!
In Minato-ku, midway between Tokyo Tower and Roppongi is the KOH GEN DO salon. I was so lucky and fortunate to be living only a 15 minute walk from there, so of course I made the effort. The so-raved about Aqua Foundation costs only 4900 yen, about US$40! I went to get shade matched but ended up getting a mini facial, to which they cleansed, moisturized, and primed my face before attempting to shade match me. They also offer massaging services that aid in relaxing your facial muscles. When around that area, I definitely recommend getting some of your Koh Gen Do goods there, as opposed to getting it in the States! You save so much money and the experience is priceless. 

Kyoto was a different story for me. I didn't cosmetics shop nearly as much while in Kyoto but one of my favorite Kyoto-exclusive stores is YOJIYA! They are an exclusive shop which sells all the traditional secrets of Japanese beauty. They're most well-known for their tsubaki oil and blotting sheets. I loved shopping there because the atmosphere was so serene. I definitely recommend their tsubaki oil and puff cleanser!

So there you have it, my cosmetics shopping experience in Japan! I hope this helped to guide you on your shopping journey in Japan. Please let me know if you visit any of these shops in your travels. (:

Comments