Summer Cleaning: Brush Edition

Good hygiene is a must! We cleanse our faces, get the best shampoos and body washes, and we get little tools to help with cleaning. Brushes deserve to be cared for just as much as we do. This is my take on cleaning your brushes, and it's super easy. 
To clean your brushes there are three(four) different products you can use to clean them with. The easiest and already-there combination is dish soap and olive oil. Use a 2:1 ratio of dish soap to olive oil. This gets off all the stains and cleans them really well. Just make sure to be careful with the oil. Sometimes you get a bit too much and it makes your brushes oily. Another way to clean your brushes is by using baby shampoo. It's relatively cheap and it's gentle. The last thing you can use a gentle cleanser. I use Purity by Philosophy to clean my beauty blender and brushes when I need a quick wash.
When I clean my brushes, I typically just swirl them around on a plate or in my palm. I try not to be too rough with them. When I want to clean a bit deeper, I put my fingers together and use them like a washboard. Ha ha. Rinse your brushes with warm/cool water. If you use hot water you'll end up damaging the bristles. Treat your brushes like your own hair, be gentle and don't tug. 
To dry, I lay them bristle downward so the excess water won't get in the wand and loosen up the glue. For duo-ended brushes, I lay them flat. For larger face brushes, I use Brush Guards to keep them in shape. 
Now all there is left to do is let them dry! :D

Comments